Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Starting Over #1



I fold the day in half like a page in a book,
saving the spot where I read the perfect sentence
I never wrote.

Turning out, turning in,
the days are a brew.
I wrestle through the old pages and eagerly
attempt a view at the new.

I see where two hands lifted me into the sky as a child,
when I was a bird. I see when kisses
gathered in my cheeks like collected nuts and then,
where later, I held them close in the winter. 

I feel the embrace of snowflakes on my nose, the
collide of water passing as I swim, the flutter of a leaf
in the wind, and the burn of fire on my left shin
from when I stood too close to the flames.

I hear you, I hear you, I hear you.

I taste everything again, even the bitterness
of a liquorice fern root. And that's when it ends,
when the spot I've saved lures me back just
to leave it all behind.

The page unfolds.
I rip it out,
whispering, "forgive me."

5 comments:

  1. I was sad when you ripped it out, but then, it's good to start over. A town needs a river, to wash away the past...and we need a new page...time to time...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That last stanza is great, really clinches it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ouch, like a banged thumb! (And sorry not to have more time tonight to fully appreciate this fine poem here.) This poem sets such an ease of pace and tone and image too, "where two hands lifted me into the sky", "when I was a bird... kisses gathered in my cheeks", "the collide of water passing as I swim" - all so vivid and intimate!

    And all makes the final act and statement of so much more import.
    Beautifully written!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You had me at the first line. Wow.

    My offering:

    http://juliejordanscott.typepad.com/jjspoetry/2010/01/sillymeandsilly-me-readwritepoem-january-poetic-mini-challenge-day-1.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a great line: "i see where two hands lifted me into the sky as a child"!

    ReplyDelete